Saturday 31 August 2013

Should I make multiple SQLite databases for better concurrency?

Should I make multiple SQLite databases for better concurrency?

I'm very new to SQL and relational databases (just started learning last
week) and I'm in the process of upgrading my website and currently keep
all my data in XML files. It works, but the new site would be better
suited from what I hear a relational database can do, and it looks like
SQLite is best for me. One of my concerns is concurrency, even though 99%
of the data will be read-only (which I understand SQLite is pretty good
at) 99% of the time. Other things, like page view counters for certain
pages will constantly require small writes. I'm still learning database
design and want to do it right. Would it make sense to make separate
databases for things that get written to a lot, that way making the main
database far less susceptible to concurrency issues? Is it possible to do
a "foreign key" type reference (I still haven't used foreign keys yet, but
think I understand them) across databases? As each view count would point
to some primary key in the main database. Thanks for any help!

No comments:

Post a Comment