Wednesday 7 August 2013

How do I know that my neural network is being trained correctly

How do I know that my neural network is being trained correctly

I've written an Adaline Neural Network. Everything that I have compiles,
so I know that there isn't a problem with what I've written, but how do I
know that I have to algorithm correct? When I try training the network, my
computer just says the application is running and it just goes. After
about 2 minutes I just stopped it.
Does training normally take this long (I have 10 parameters and 669
observations)? Do I just need to let it run longer?
Hear is my train method
public void trainNetwork()
{
int good = 0;
//train until all patterns are good.
while(good < trainingData.size())
{
for(int i=0; i< trainingData.size(); i++)
{
this.setInputNodeValues(trainingData.get(i));
adalineNode.run();
if(nodeList.get(nodeList.size()-1).getValue(Constants.NODE_VALUE)
!= adalineNode.getValue(Constants.NODE_VALUE))
{
adalineNode.learn();
}
else
{
good++;
}
}
}
}
And here is my learn method
public void learn()
{
Double nodeValue = value.get(Constants.NODE_VALUE);
double nodeError = nodeValue * -2.0;
error.put(Constants.NODE_ERROR, nodeError);
BaseLink link;
int count = inLinks.size();
double delta;
for(int i = 0; i < count; i++)
{
link = inLinks.get(i);
Double learningRate = value.get(Constants.LEARNING_RATE);
Double value = inLinks.get(i).getInValue(Constants.NODE_VALUE);
delta = learningRate * value * nodeError;
inLinks.get(i).updateWeight(delta);
}
}
And here is my run method
public void run()
{
double total = 0;
//find out how many input links there are
int count = inLinks.size();
for(int i = 0; i< count-1; i++)
{
//grab a specific link in sequence
BaseLink specificInLink = inLinks.get(i);
Double weightedValue =
specificInLink.weightedInValue(Constants.NODE_VALUE);
total += weightedValue;
}
this.setValue(Constants.NODE_VALUE, this.transferFunction(total));
}
These functions are part of a library that I'm writing. I have the entire
thing on Github here. Now that everything is written, I just don't know
how I should go about actually testing to make sure that I have the
training method written correctly.
I asked a similar question a few months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment